Now that all that football and basketball business is over, we can return our gaze to the social swirl.
Wednesday, July 14, 2010
- Find a mate amid the cocktails and staged readings of the worst office horror stories ever at Metro Mixer . E3rd Steakhouse & Lounge, 734 E 3rd St. downtown. 6-9 PM
- Celebrate Bastille Day with French Tuesdays at Pacific Design Center from 8 PM to 2 AM.
- Artist/writer talk with Maxi Kim regarding "The Principle of North Korean Charity" at 2 PM. Followed by a Performance by Maxi Kim & Robbie Hansen, plus video by Gina Clark at 4 PM at LACE, 6522 Hollywood Blvd.
- Eli Horowitz and Mac Barnett read their book, The Clock Without a Face, 7:30 PM at Skylight Books
- ESPN hosts the 18th Annual ESPYs awards at Nokia Theatre. 6:00 PM.
Thursday, July 15, 2010
- Randy Schmidt introduces Little Girl Blue: The Life of Karen Carpenter @ 7 PM. Book Soup
- Russell Shubin and Robin Donaldson discuss their book, Live & Work Modern Homes and Offices, 6 PM @ Hennessey + Ingalls, Santa Monica
Friday, July 16, 2010
- Hollywood Reporter hosts its Power Lawyers Breakfast, honoring Leah Weil. Speakers include Alan Horn, Matt Belloni and Amy Pascal. Four Seasons Hotel Los Angeles.
Saturday, July 17, 2010
- Author/Hollywood Historian and LA Observed Contributor, Cari Beauchamp, will give an illustrated talk on actress Marion Davies for the American Cinematheque and Art Deco Society at the Egyptian Theater in Hollywood. Fun starts at 2 PM
- LA Times architecture critic Christopher Hawthorne and other architecture experts discuss "Dingbat as Cultural Icon" at at LA Forum Events @ WUHO* (formerly called W.H.E.), 6518 Hollywood Boulevard, Hollywood CA, 90028 3 PM
- Meghan Daum, Richard Rushfield, Christopher Rice and Marisa Matarazzo read at Spoken Interludes at Palihouse Holloway in West Hollywood. Supper Buffet arrive anytime between 6:00 - 7:30 PM; Reading at 7:30 PM
- Opening Reception for the "California Design Biennial: Action/Reaction" show at the Pasadena Museum of California Art. 7:00 PM
- Miracle Mile Art Walk. 2 PM - 10:00 PM
Sunday, July 18, 2010
- LAXART Space celebrates its Fifth Year Anniversary with a Secret Gathering and Garden Party at Steven Weber's residence. 3:00 PM.
Monday, July 19, 2010
- Ernessa Carter reads 32 Candles at Vroman's Pasadena. 7 PM.
- Eighth Annual NFL 101: An Intimate Evening with NFL Legends at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. 5:00 PM Speakers include Joe Theismann, Steve Mariucci, Tim Brown, Trent Dilfer and Warren Moon
Tuesday, July 20, 2010
- Umami Burger and a Movie: Independent Features Showcase at Space 15 Twelve, Hollywood. 8-10 PM
- Los Angeles Business Journal hosts the 2010 Asian Business Awards luncheon at the Wilshire Grand Hotel & Centre. 11:00 AM