- Michael Jaime-Becerra speaks at Written in CA Reading Series at Pasadena Museum of California Art. 7 PM
- Altadena's Wicked Literature: A Halloween Theatre Festival starts today at the Mountain View Mausoleum and Cemetery in Altadena, CA (2400 Fair Oaks Avenue)
- Bo Caldwell reads Distant Land of My Father @ Village Books, Pacific Palisade. 7:30 PM
- El Nido Family Centers honors Beau Bridges and Wendy Bridges with its Champions for Families Award at the Skirball Cultural Center
- Outfest honors Roland Emmerich and Fox Entertainment Group at its Legacy Awards at 8 PM at the Directors Guild of America.
- Boys & Girls Clubs of America honors Magic Johnson at its 2010 Heroes & High Hopes Dinner. 6:00 PM at the JW Marriott at LA Live.
- Cynthia McFadden will emcee the International Women's Media Foundation's 2010 Courage in Journalism Awards at the Beverly Hills Hotel. 6:30 PM
- Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences presents special Monsters at the Movies panel at the Samuel Goldwyn Theater in Beverly Hills. Panelists include Shane Mahan, Jon Favreau ("Zathura: A Space Adventure"), makeup artist Greg Cannom (Bram Stoker's Dracula"), visual effects artist Phil Tippett ("Jurassic Park"), producer Lou Arkoff ("Darkness Falls") and actor David Naughton ("An American Werewolf in London"). Doors open 6:30 PM. Program begins at 7:30 PM
- The Beverly Hills Literary Escape weekend kicks off with a cocktail party at the Beverly Canon Gardens and a "Moveable Feast," featuring celebrated authors at storefronts along Canon Drive. 7 PM
- America Tropical, an opera inspired by Mexican muralist David Alfaro Siqueiros' adventures in Los Angeles, premieres USC. 3 PM
- Westen Oschse reads Empire of Salt: Tome's of the Dead @ Book Soup. 7 PM
- YWCA Greater Los Angeles hosts its Benefactrix Ball at the Beverly Hills Hotel 6:00 PM
- 14th Annual Arab Film Festival opens (continuing through October 24) at the Writers Guild Theater. 8 PM
- Pasadena Museum of History hosts the "Straight-Laced and Buttoned-Up: Dress and Undress at the Turn of the 20th Century" fashion show at Altadena Town and Country Club, 2290 Country Club Drive, Altadena 91001. 2 PM
- Bourbon Grand Tasting to benefit LA Conservancy at Seven Grand, 515 W. 7th Street from 4 -7 PM
- Sergio Aragones signs MAD's Greatest Artists: Sergio Aragones: Five Decades of His Finest Work 5 PM @ Book Soup
- Artisanal LA Opening Day to benefit LAUSD School Garden programs starts 11:00 AM at Cooper Design Space
- Children's Diabetes Foundation honors Maria Shriver at its annual "The Carousel of Hope" dinner at the Beverly Hilton Hotel. 6:30 PM
- Harry Hamlin displays Full Frontal Nudity @ Skylight Books 5 PM
- Film location professionals celebrate their own at the 16th annual California On Location Awards at the Beverly Hilton Hotel.
- Tikkunfest on Pico Boulevard. 1:00 PM
- Four Legged Friends Foundation hosts its Count FLuFFula's Costumes & Cocktails fundraiser in West Hollywood. 5:00 PM
- Foreign Affairs editor, Gideon Rose, gives a Zocalo lecture on "How America Ends its Wars" at The Actor's Gang, 9070 Venice Boulevard in Culver City. 7:30 PM
- Sean Penn honored at this year's Hollywood Film Festival Awards Gala Ceremony at the Beverly Hilton Hotel.
- Condoleezza Rice in conversation with Patt Morrison at the Saban Theater, hosted by PEN Center USA and Book Soup. 8 PM
- Writer's Bloc hosts a former Columbian Presidential Candidate and hostage Ingrid Betancourt in conversation with book critic David Kipen at MGM Building, 10250 Constellation Blvd., Century City. 7:30 PM
- Minerva Awards honors Sandra Day O'Connor, Oprah Winfrey and others at the Long Beach Convention Center. 5:00 PM
- Mark Bittman discusses his new cookbook, The Food Matters Cookbook, with KCRW's Evan Kleiman at Skirball Cultural Center. 7:30 PM. Tickets $15.
David L. Ulin reads The Lost Art of Reading @ Skylight Books 7:30 PM