Thursday, November 11, 2010
- Stephen Michael Shearer reads Beautiful-the Life & Times of Hedy Lamarr at Larry Edmonds Bookshop in Hollywood 7 PM
- Media theorist Dick Hebdige lectures on "After the Fall: From Punk to Porn-etration to 'Let's be Facebook Friendz,'" for free at The Broad Stage at Santa Monica College, located on Santa Monica Boulevard at 11th Street. 7:30 PM
- An Evening of Song and Conversation With Cassandra Wilson in Clive Davis Theater at the Grammy Museum in LA Live. 7:30 PM doors open for 8 PM performance. $25
- Filmmaker Michel Gondry will be signing copies of the brand new book/DVD, My New New York Diary, at Family Bookstore, 436 N. Fairfax Ave, Los Angeles 90036
Friday, November 12, 2010
- Los Angeles Asian & Tribal Arts Show Opening Night Benefit for Fowler Museum at UCLA starts at 6:00 PM (Show continues through November 14). Santa Monica Civic Auditorium. Santa Monica.
- RAND Institute's Politics Aside conference starts in Santa Monica today.
- Anne Germanacos reads In the Time of the Girls at Skylight Books. 7:30 Pm
Saturday, November 13, 2010
- March of Dimes hosts its Celebration of Babies luncheon at the Four Seasons hotel in Beverly Hills. Expect a platoon of pregnant celebs like Jenna Elfman and Ali Larter to be on hand to join the "Stork Club" of celebrity volunteers. 11 AM
- Doug Woods & Glen Creason sign Classic Homes of Los Angeles and Los Angeles in Maps at Chevalier's Books, Larchmont Blvd. 1-3 PM
- Doug Aitken organizes MOCA's annual gala this year, dubbing it the "Artist's Museum Happening" in the MOCA Grand Avenue. Beck, Devendra Banhart and Caetano Veloso are performing.
- Liberty Hill Foundation honors Alex De Ocampo at its Third Annual Change L.A in the W Hollywood hotel. 3:30 PM to 5:50 PM
- L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center honors Jane Lynch at it's 30th Anniversary Gala at the Hyatt Regency Century Plaza. Lily Tomlin and Carol Burnett perform. 6:00 PM
- Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences honors Jean-Luc Godard, Kevin Brownlow, Francis Ford Coppola and actor Eli Wallach at its Governors Awards ceremony in the Kodak Theatre. 6:30 PM. Anyone taking bets on whether Godard shows up?
- Esotouric's Haunts of a Dirty Old Man: Charles Bukowski's Los Angeles tour starts at Phillipe's at noon.
Sunday, November 14, 2010
- Author and landscape historian Judith Tankard lectures on "Beatrix Farrand: Private Gardens, Public Landscapes" in the Friend's Hall at the Huntington Library in San Marino. 2 PM
- Museum of Tolerance Film Festival honors Clint Eastwood with the festival's first "Tolerance Award" at the museum's gala tonight. George Lopez hosts. 7 PM
- Lian Dolan reunites with two of her Satellite Sisters of NPR radio fame and celebrates the publication of her novel, Helen of Pasadena, at Vroman's Bookstore, 3 PM
- Bella Winter: A Festive Holiday Kick-Off and Fashion Show benefiting Five Acres takes over the Americana on Brand in Glendale. 3:30 PM
- City of Hope hosts the Susan Campoy Testimonial Dinner at the Langham Huntington Hotel & Spa in Pasadena. 5:30 PM
- Ann Summa and Kristine McKenna sign The Beautiful and the Damned at Skylight Books at 5 PM
- Dana Gluckstein reads Dignity @ Diesel, A Bookstore/Brentwood. 3 PM
- Diana Kennedy shares Oacaca al Gusto at Vroman's Pasadena. 7 PM
Monday, November 15, 2010
- Women & Philanthropy At UCLA host a lecture on "Reel People: The Art of Hollywood Costume Design" at the Jules Stein Eye Institute. 4:00 PM
- Los Angeles Business Journal hosts an awards reception for those named on its Fastest Growing Private Companies 2010 list prior to Clippers v New Jersey Nets basketball game. Lexus Club at Staples Center. 5:30 PM
- Sid Sheinberg, Barry Meyer and Tom Brokaw co-chair this year's Human Rights Watch Voices for Justice Annual Dinner at the Beverly Hilton Hotel. 6:30 PM
- Cherry Vanilla reads Lick Me: How I Became Cherry Vanilla at Book Soup. 7 PM
Tuesday, November 16, 2010
- The Lakes Holiday Ice Rink in Thousand Oaks opens today, donating all rentals and admissions proceeds to Conejo Schools Foundation. 11:30 AM
- Lupus LA hosts its Eighth Annual Hollywood Bag Ladies Luncheon, honoring Toni Braxton and Rachel Zoe, at the Beverly Wilshire Four Seasons Hotel. 11:00 AM
- Janice Shapiro reads Bummer and Other Stories at Skylight Books. 7:30 PM
- Jonathan Gold and Bret Easton Ellis in conversation at the Hammer Museum. 7 PM
Wednesday, November 17, 2010
- Former Los Angeles mayor Richard J. Riordan speaks at the American Red Cross of Greater Los Angeles's First Annual Heroes Breakfast at the California Club, Downtown. 7:30 AM
- Los Angeles Business Council hosts its annual Mayoral Sustainable Housing and Transportation Summit at UCLA 7:30 AM. Panels include Raphael Bostic, Wendy Greuel, Johanna Gullick, and current Los Angeles mayor Antonio Villaraigosa.
- PEN Center USA honors Hugh Hefner, Lin Oliver, James Salter and Henry Winkler at its 20th Annual Literary Awards Festival at the Beverly Hills Hotel. 6:30 PM