Thursday, December 2, 2010
- Boulevardier/photographer Brad Elterman signs his photo book collection Like It Was Yesterday at Lead Apron Gallery, 8445 Melrose Place, LA. Reservations required. 6 PM
- Jerry Zucker hosts panel on what's next in entertainment, called "Where Do We Go From Here?," at Samuel Goldwyn Theater at Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Doors open at 7 PM for 8 PM presentation. 8949 Wilshire Blvd, Beverly Hills.
- Children's Defense Fund honors Reese Witherspoon and Marian Wright-Edelman at its 20th Annual "Beat the Odds" Awards Ceremony at the Beverly Hills Hotel. 6:30 PM start.
- California League of Conservation Voters honors Rampa Hormel, Richard Katz, John A. Perez and Ana Rosa Rizo at its 17th Annual Environmental Leadership Awards at the Hyatt Regency Century Plaza. 6:00 PM
Friday, December 3, 2010
- Surf-culture designer John Van Hamersveld exhibition opening reception at deyermond art + books, 2801 Main Street, Santa Monica, CA. 8 PM
- Catholic Charities of Los Angeles hosts the City of Angels Christmas Gala at the California Club. This is a formal event to honor the Knights and Dames of Malta, the Knights and Dames of St. Gregory, and the Knights and Ladies of the Holy Sepulchre so bring your binoculars.
- Hollywood Reporter presents its Women In Entertainment Power 100 Breakfast and program at the Beverly Hills Hotel.
Saturday, December 4, 2010
- The Jane Austen Society of North America's Southwest chapter hosts a symposium "Wassail and Plum Pudding: Cooking in Jane Austen's England," at the Los Angeles Athletic Club, Downtown. Fun starts at 9 AM and includes a lunch menu modeled after one served during Austen's time.
- True Blood's original music composer Nathan Barr and actor Kevin Alejandro attend the Sunset Reception sponsored by the California Teachers Association at the private ocean-front home of Jeff Haber in Three Arch Bay, Laguna Beach. 3:30 to 5:30 PM
- Studio for Southern CA History hosts local historians and authors at its Holiday Book Boutique and Bake Sale in Chinatown at 6 PM
- KCET's Departures StoryShare initiative starts at the celebration for the Elysian Valley Pedestrian/Bike Path. Council member Ed Reyes will be there 10 Am to 2 PM.
- West Adams Heritage Association hosts its 24th Annual Holiday Historic Homes Tour and Progressive Dinner Opening Day (Continues through December 5).
- Elizabeth Currid-Halkett reads Starstruck: The Business of Celebrity at Book Soup at 5 PM
Sunday, December 5, 2010
- Castle Green Holiday Tour in Pasadena's Old Town. 1-5 PM.
- Caucus for Producers, Writers & Directors honors Bill Blinn, Suzanne de Passe, Vin Di Bona, Jacqueline Liebergott and Herman Rush at its 28th Annual Awards Dinner. Beverly Hills Hotel. 6:30 PM
- Paul Almond read the Deserter at DIESEL, A Bookstore in Malibu. 3-4:30 PM
- Rhapsodomancy presents Diane Lefer, Candace Pearson, Robin Ekiss, and Steve de Jarnatt, reading from their recent work at Good Luck Bar, 1514 Hillhurst Ave. $3 suggested donation. 7 PM
- *SWEA Los Angeles 37th annual Swedish Christmas Fair at The Shrine Expo Center. 10 AM to 5 PM.
Monday, December 6, 2010
- Diane Reagan reads Laughing Grandma & Others at Village Books, Pacific Palisades. 7:30 PM
- Harry Hamlin discusses and signs Full Frontal Nudity and Lisa Rinna discusses and signs Starlit at Vroman's Bookstore. Pasadena will never be the same again. 7 PM
- *EATING OUR WORDS: Elisa Albert & Jen Smith (Full Moon Pickles) lit reading and snack series at Taylor De Cordoba gallery, 2660 S. La Cienega Blvd, Los Angeles, CA. 7:30 PM. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org. h/t Tasting Table LA<
Tuesday, December 7, 2010
- Los Angeles Regional Foodbank hosts its Season for Sharing Luncheon at the Wilshire Grand Hotel & Centre. 11:30 AM
- Kate Morton discusses and signs The Distant Hours at Vroman's Bookstore, Pasadena. 7 PM
- TEDWomen Conference streamed live at the Los Angeles Paley Center for Media in Beverly Hills. Starts at 11:15 AM
- ALOUD presents Andrew Harvey and Rev. Ed Bacon on "Sacred Activism: Putting One's Spiritual Knowledge into Action" at the Central Library, Downtown. 7PM
- Writers Bloc presents Dick Cavett in conversation with Mel Brooks, discussing Cavett's new book Talk Show, at the Saban Theater, 8440 Wilshire Blvd. Tickets are $23. 7:30 PM
Wednesday, December 8, 2010
- A Place Called Home hosts its Gala for the Children at the Beverly Hilton Hotel.
Save the Date: Thursday, November 9, 2010
Zocalo at the Hammer: Christopher Isherwood's Los Angeles. Hammer Museum. 7 PM