Friday, March 11, 2011
- Idina Menzel, The Whiffenpoofs of Yale, Darren Criss of "Glee" perform at a gala to benefit P.S. Arts at the Broad Stage in Santa Monica at 8 PM.
- Lela Lee presents and signs Fairy Tales for Angry Little Girls at Book Soup at 7 PM
- Altamed Health Services hosts a Venetian Carnival celebration at the Beverly Hilton Hotel. Venetian masks requested.
Saturday, March 12, 2011
- Human Rights Campaign honors Scarlett Johansson at its 2011 Los Angeles Gala at the Ritz-Carlton, Los Angeles at L.A. Live. Los Angeles.
- The family of noted photographer Sam Shaw shall discuss his archive and present Sam Shaw at Book Soup at 5 PM.
- Literary Women presents its Long Beach Festival of Authors at the Long Beach Convention Center. Registration opens at 8:30 AM
- Armory Center for the Arts in Pasadena hosts its Off the Wall Art Auction and Fundraising Party 7:00 PM at the Armory Center located at 145 N. Raymond Ave, Pasadena.
- Museum of Neon Art hosts its Opening Reception for "MONA@30" at the museum: 136 W 4th Street, Los Angeles. 8:00 PM
- Child advocacy charity, Shane's Inspiration, hosts its "The Magic of Play" Gala 2011 at the Beverly Wilshire Four Seasons Hotel. Beverly Hills. (818) 988-5676. 5:00 PM
Sunday, March 13, 2011
- Gary Oldman conducts a Q&A with Ben Gazzara at "A Sunday with Ben Gazzara," a film tribute hosted by Cinefamily at the Silent Movie Theater in the Fairfax District. 5:30 PM
- Artist-in-residence Daniel Brummel screens the film "Meetings With Remarkable Men: Gurdjieff's Search for Hidden Knowledge" at Machine Project in Echo Park. 8 PM
- Idyllwild Arts hosts its 25th Anniversary Gala Reception, honoring Bill Lowman, at the Millennium Biltmore Hotel Los Angeles.
- L.A. Fashion Week starts today and continues until March 19th
- Patrick Dempsey and Jillian Dempsey host the 8th Annual Benefit for Stuart House at the John Varvatos store, 8800 Melrose Ave., Los Angeles. Noon.
Monday, March 14, 2011
- Roving dinner party "Closed on Mondays" takes over Atwater Village's Canelé to raise funds for the Milagro Allegro, a Highland Park community garden. Walk-ins accepted from 6 PM to close. $35
- Actors Fund presents a Funny Girl Concert fundraiser at the Pantages Theare at 7:30 PM
- Andre Dubus III presents and signs Townie: A Memoir at Book Soup. 7 PM
Tuesday, March 15, 2011
- ALOUD presents Annie Murphy Paul, author of Origins: How the Nine Months Before Birth Shape the Rest of Our Lives In conversation with Dr. Michael Lu, professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology, UCLA at the Mark Taper Auditorium-Central Library. 7 PM
- The Help Group hosts the Teddy Bear Tea: An Affair of the Heart to benefit pediatric health initiatives at the Four Seasons Hotel in Beverly Hills at 11:00 AM. $100 per ticket.
- Patti Smith with Lenny Kaye performs at the Silverlake Conservatory of Music Benefit Dinner at Cafe Stella in Silver Lake. Flea and Anthony Kiedis host. Starts at 6 PM.
Wednesday, March 16, 2011
- Sheriff Lee Baca, Charlie Beck, Pete Carroll, Pat Haden and Tim Leiweke speak at the "Changing the Game" Lunch hosted by A Better LA at USC Town and Gown, located at 665 Exposition Blvd., Los Angeles.
- League of Women Voters of Los Angeles hosts its Celebrating Leadership Awards Dinner at the Millennium Biltmore Hotel. 6:00 PM
- Alzheimer's Association honors Walt Disney Co CEO, Robert A. Iger, at its 19th Annual "A Night at Sardi's" Fundraiser and Awards Dinner at the Beverly Hilton Hotel. 6:30 PM
- Robots in Every Home by 2020: R & D in Artificial Intelligence Samsung vs. Honda lecture by Dr. Kwan-min Lee, USC professor, at Loyola Marymount University's Ahmanson Auditorium, University Hall 1000. 6 PM.
Thursday, March 17, 2011
- Greater Los Angeles African American Chamber of Commerce honors John A. Perez, Jan Perry, Dan Rosenfeld, and Jack Surash at its18th Annual Economic Awards Dinner at the Sheraton Downtown Los Angeles. 5:30 PM
- Andrew Foster Altschul reads and signs his novel, Deus Ex Machina, at Skylight Books in Los Feliz at 7:30 PM.
- The Art Deco Society of Los Angeles hosts a special reception and discussion on Art Deco influences on Lalique at The Lalique Boutique, 2 Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills. 6 PM - 8 PM. RSVP to Lalique Boutique at 310-271-7892 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Send event listings to Adrienne Crew at adrienne at laobserved.com