Thursday, April 7, 2011
- UCLA celebrates Czesław Miłosz's Centennial Anniversary with a screening of "Valley of the Issa" followed by a panel discussion in Room 147 Dodd Hall at UCLA. Starts with a 6 PM reception.
- Center Dance Arts / Music Center of Los Angeles County hosts a fundraising gala, entitled "In Celebration of the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater," 6:00 PM in Hancock Park
- Tom Arnold emcees the Los Angeles Tree of Life Dinner for the Jewish National Fund at the Beverly Hills Hotel.6:00 PM
- Book Soup and the Bootleg Theatre present T.C. Boyle reading and signing from his latest book, When the Killing's Done ,at the Bootleg Theatre, 2220 Beverly Blvd. Los Angeles.7 PM
Friday, April 8, 2011
- Neutra Practice at 85 celebration starts with dinner and a movie at the Eagle Recreation Center today. April 8-10, 2011
- Beverly Hills Fire Department hosts its annual Retirement Dinner at the Beverly Hills Hotel.
Saturday, April 9, 2011
- Betalevel hosts the Paranoid Bike Ride: A Brief Passage Through a Few Obscure Loci around Downtown Los Angeles. 3:00 PM start.
- Actors and Others for Animals honors Betty White at its 40th anniversary fundraiser at the Universal Hilton in Universal City at 11 AM.
- REDCAT International Children's Film Festival airs a round-up of animation from China curated by acclaimed animator, teacher and artist Joe Chang. Noon.
- Enjoy A Taste of Dance with members of the Alvin Ailey® American Dance Theater in the Music Center Plaza. 11 AM to 4:30 PM
- LA Plaza de Cultura y Artes honors Supervisor Gloria Molina at its inaugural Gala. 501 North Main Street, Downtown Los Angeles.
- GOOD L.A. hosts a pop up community center in Atwater Village.
- American Red Cross honors Betty White and Josh Duhamel at its Red Tie Affair Gala at the Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows in Santa Monica.
- John Wayne Cancer Institute honors Alana Stewart at its 26th Annual Odyssey Ball at the Beverly Hilton Hotel.
- Junior League of Pasadena holds its third Annual Chocolate Chip Ball in Pasadena.
- Theodore Payne Foundation for Wildflowers and Native Plants hosts its eighth Annual Native Plant Garden Tour at various stops around West Hollywood. 10:00 AM start.
Sunday, April 10, 2011
- Don Stadtner signs his book, Sacred Sites of Burma, at the Pacific Asia Museum in Pasadena. 2 PM. Reservations suggested.
- CicLAvia blossoms once again throughout the Los Angeles area.
- Academy of Magical Arts / Magic Castle hosts the 43rd Annual Awards at Avalon Hollywood. 5:00 PM
Monday, April 11, 2011
- Writers Bloc presents an evening with Girl Detectives:Jacqueline Winspear and Cara Black in conversation with David Kipen at the MGM Building, 10250 Constellation Blvd., Century City. 7:30 PM
- ColCoa Film Festival Opening Day: A Week of French Film Premieres (continues through April 18).
Tuesday, April 12, 2011
- Joseph Lelyveld explains "Who Was the Real Gandhi?" for Zocalo at the Hammer Museum. 7 PM
- Over at Hollywood's Space 15TWENTY, MOPLA presents Pro'jekt LA Part Two: Pacific Resonance, a night of projected photography by seven Los Angeles photographers accompanied by an original cello composition. 7-10 PM RSVP to ProjektLA2@monthofphotography.com
- TEDxUSC in Bovard Auditorium at USC.
- Phoenix Houses of California honors founder Mitchell S. Rosenthal and filmmaker Chris Weitz at its eighth annual Triumph for Teens Awards Gala at the Four Seasons Hotel Los Angeles in Beverly Hills.
- The Colleagues / Children's Institute honor Nancy Reagan at its 23rd Annual Spring Luncheon, featuring an Oscar de la Renta fashion show, at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel. 11:00 AM
- Indian Film Festival of Los Angeles opens at the Arclight and continues through April 17th.
Wednesday, April 13, 2011
- Anthony Blasko signs his photo book The Way Things Are Vol 1 at Leadapron, 8445 Melrose Place, Los Angeles. 7 PM.
- Opening reception for Judith Supine's "Ladyboy" exhibition at New Image Art Gallery, 7908 Santa Monica Blvd. West Hollywood. 7-10 PM
- Jewish Federation hosts its Women's Lion of Judah Luncheon at the Beverly Hilton Hotel.
If you have upcoming events, be sure to share them with Adrienne Crew at adrienne at laobserved dot com