Thursday, May 5, 2011
- Geoff Dyer reads his book, Otherwise Known as the Human Condition, at Skylight Books, 1818 Vermont Ave at 7:30 PM
- Slow Food L.A. presents Jam Session, a quarterly Santa Monica Farmers' Market Library Panel panel featuring preserving and canning advice from the likes of Evan Kleiman, Kevin West, Valerie Gordon (chef and co-owner of Valerie Confections) and Barbara Spencer (Windrose Farm), at the Santa Monica Public Library Auditorium, 601 Santa Monica Blvd., Santa Monica. 7-9 PM. h/t Tasting Table LA
- Simon Wiesenthal Center honors Tom Cruise at its annual National Tribute Dinner at Beverly Wilshire Four Seasons Hotel. 6:00 PM.
- Los Angeles Nomadic Division hosts its First Annual Art Auction and Benefit Party at Palihouse West Hollywood at 6:30 PM.
- MusiCares honors Dave Gahan and Kevin Lyman at its Seventh Annual MAP Fund Benefit Concert Dinner and performances by Victor Indrizzo, Jane's Addiction, Vincent Jones, Martyn LeNoble, Ozomatli, Paramore, Adam Bravin and Justin Warfield. Club Nokia.
- Resisting the Path to Genocide: The Case of States and Societies Conference starts at USC. 10 AM to 5:30 PM
- The Helping Hand's 82nd Annual Mother's Day Luncheon & Fashion Show benefit for Cedars-Sinai Medical Center at the Beverly Hills Hotel. 10:00 AM
- FIRST FRIDAYS "Nostradamus Edition: Looking into the Future of Science" @ Natural History Museum. 5 PM
- 2011 AltBuild Expo at Santa Monica Civic Auditorium starts today and continues Saturday. 10 AM to 5 PM
Saturday, May 7, 2011
- Union Station celebrates National Train Day with a showcase of vintage and modern rail cars and ephemera on display from 11 AM to 4 PM . Union Station. Free $6 Parking at E. Cesar Chavez and N. Vignes (MTA Lot) h/t Blogdowntown
- Millinery Haute Couture Fashion show and luncheon presented by the Pasadena History Museum at the Altadena Town and Country Club, 2290 Country Club Dr., Altadena 12:30 PM
- Outpost for Contemporary Art hosts "Breaking New Ground: A Tribute to Julie Deamer" fundraiser with a silent auction to benefit the future of Outpost at the NeutraVDL Research House, 2300 Silverlake Blvd., Los Angeles from 5 PM to 7 PM
- 7th Annual Hollywood Movie Magic Ball at UCLA Kerckhoff Grand Salon (moved from UCLA Powell Library to UCLA Kerckhoff Grand Salon) from 8 PM to Midnight. Free. RSVP Welcome to HistoricalDance@yahoo.com
- LA Poets Billy Burgos, Rafael Alvarado, S.A. Griffin, Jeff Rochlin and Luivette Resto read their work to publicize journalist James Foley's detainment in Libya at Ave 50 Studio, 131 North Avenue 50 in Highland Park at 6 PM
- Orthopaedic Hospital hosts its Las Ninas de la Madrecitas Fashion Show at the Hyatt Regency Century Plaza.
- Children's Hospital Los Angeles / Leukemia and Lymphoma Society hosts the 13th Annual Fiesta of the Spanish Horse at the Los Angeles Equestrian Center 3:00 PM
- Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Eta Lambda Omega Chapter presents its 23rd Annual Fashionetta Fundraiser Scholarship Luncheon & Fashion Show at Pasadena Conference Center. 10:00 AM
- Otis College of Art and Design honors Bob Mackie at its 29th Annual Scholarship Benefit and Fashion Show at the Beverly Hilton Hotel. 6:30 PM
- Mother's Day Celebration at the Los Angeles Jewish Home: 7150 Tampa Avenue, LA
- "Evolution or Revolution? Production Design in the 21st Century" seminar presented by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences at Linwood Dunn Theater from 7-9 PM
- Zimmer Children's Museum hosts its Third Annual Mother's Day Luncheon in Beverly Hills.
- Los Angeles County Bar Association honors Hon. Peter Espinoza, Los Angeles County Superior Court as Judge of the Year at its Criminal Justice Awards Dinner at the Millennium Biltmore Hotel Los Angeles. Event starts at 5 PM.
- Live Talks Los Angeles hosts "An Evening of 1000 Voices with Billy West ("FUTURAMA") and Tom Kenny (Sponge Bob)" at Track 16 Gallery in Santa Monica at 8 PM.
- Liberty Hill Foundation honors Tim Gill, Margarita Ramirez and Gary Stewart at its 2011 Upton Sinclair Dinner at the Beverly Hilton, starting at 6 PM.
- Allison Burnett, Joseph Mattson, Michelle Meyering, James Greer and Neal Pollack read their work at The Rattling Wall Literary Journal Release Party at the Hammer Museum in Westwood. 7 PM.
- Zocalo presents a conversation about "How Do We Solve Health Inequality?" at The California Endowment, 1000 N. Alameda Street, LA. 7:30 PM
If you have upcoming events, be sure to share them with Adrienne Crew at adrienne at laobserved dot com