Thursday, November 17, 2011
- Los Angeles Press Club honors Hugh Hefner at its Fourth Annual National Entertainment Journalism Awards dinner at the Millennium Biltmore Hotel
- Victoria Patterson speaks at Gustavo's [ Arellano] Awesome Lecture Series at Fullerton Library about her new novel, This Vacant Paradise. 6:30 PM
- Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra hosts "Austria a la Carte" at the Austrian Consul's residence in Brentwood.
- Author Richard Polsky converses with Shepard Fairey about Polsky's book, The Art Prophets: The Artists, Dealers, and Tastemakers Who Shook the Art World, at Book Soup. 7 PM
Friday, November 18, 2011
- The Spa Less Traveled: Discovering Ethnic Los Angeles, One Spa At a Time editors read their book at Vroman's. Oh, and happy 5th birthday to Prospect Park Media. 7 PM
- Pasadena Children's Guild hosts its 44th Annual Snow Ball Preview Party and Auction at the Castle Green in Pasadena. 6:00 PM. Event continues with a brunch and holiday boutique at the same location on Saturday.
- Filmmaker Wim Wenders discusses and signs Places, Strange and Quiet at Book Soup at 4 PM.
- Randall Robinson discusses his novel, Makeda, at Eso Won Books at 7 PM.
- Soil Desire People Dance performance starts at The Velaslavasay Panorama. Continues to Saturday. 8 PM
Saturday, November 19, 2011
- 11th Annual Waltz Night at UCLA at UCLA Powell College Library 2nd Floor Rotunda. RSVP Required to HistoricalDance@yahoo.com. 8 PM
- Southern California Food Industries Circle hosts its 38th Annual Harvest Ball and Silent Auction to benefit City of Hope at Hyatt Regency Century Plaza.
- Leadership Circle Reception and Members Opening of "Naked Hollywood: Weegee in Los Angeles" exhibit at Museum of Contemporary Art.
- Kenneth Karmiole Lecture on the History of the Book Trade:" English Books Around the World: India and the Globalization of the English Book-trade" at the William A. Clark Memorial Library at 3 PM
- Associates for Breast & Prostate Cancer Studies honor Cathy and Sheldon Bachrach at its Talk of the Town Black Tie Gala at the Beverly Hilton Hotel.
- "Water Began It All: A New Look at the San Gabriel Mission" exhibit of rare maps and illustrations opens at Huntington Library and Garden
Sunday, November 20, 2011
- Myrna Loy Lecture and book signing at Egyptian Theater at 2:30 PM
- Junior League of Los Angeles hosts its Harvest Boutique at the Ritz-Carlton Los Angeles 10:00 AM
- Helen Mirren, Tim Robbins, Carol Muske-Dukes and others perform at a benefit for Get Lit at Actor's Gang in Culver City starting at 2 PM.
- Ed Asner performs "FDR" at benefit for Will Geer Theatricum Botanicum at the Mountain Mermaid in Topanga Canyon on 3:30 PM
Monday, November 21, 2011
- Saban Free Clinic honors Tony Carey and Michael Lombardo at its 35th Annual Dinner Gala at the Beverly Hilton Hotel. 6:30 PM
- Ben Ehrenreich discusses and signs Ether at Book Soup at 7 PM
- Physics on the Fringe Discussion: Margaret Wertheim and James Carter converse at ALOUD at Central Public Library. 7 PM
- Silent Movie Night at the Villa Aurora screens "The Moon of Israel", with organist Gerhard Gruber. 8 PM
- Japan America Society of Southern California greets the new Los Angeles Consul General from Japan, the Honorable Jun Niimi, at its Welcome Reception at the Kyoto Grand Hotel & Gardens 6:00 PM
Uh, I got nothing. Everyone's too busy traveling or cooking on Thanksgiving Eve, I guess.
Thursday, November 24, 2011
Thanksgiving. Have a happy one.
Friday, November 25, 2011
If Black Friday shopping isn't your thing, Loscon 38 starts today at the LAX Marriott. Get your tickets now.