Thursday, January 12, 2012
- Screening of "Strange Notes and Nervous Breakdowns: Punk and Media Art, 1974-1981" at MOCA Grand Avenue. Reservations required. 7 PM
- Santa Monica Museum of Art hosts Exhibition Opening Receptions for "Adam Berg: Endangered Spaces" and "Georgi Tushev: Strange Attractor" shows at Santa Monica Museum of Art in Santa Monica.
- The Broadcast Film Critics Association's Critics' Choice Awards at the Palladium.
- Slake after Dark presents a reading by Aimee Bender at Atwater Crossing. 3245 Casitas Ave, Atwater Village, 90039. 7 PM
- Seth Rogen hosts Hilarity for Charity fundraiser for Alzheimer's Association at Vibiana, Downtown LA. 8 PM. SOLD OUT
- Known Gallery hosts opening reception for Sage Vaughn's "Last Year" show at Known Gallery in Fairfax District. 8 PM
- Paramount Pictures pre-Golden Globe party on the lot
- Rosa Loy Art Opening Private Dinner at the Michael Kohn Gallery.
- Vanity Fair hosts celebration for DreamWorks' Golden Globe nominees at Cecconi's.
- W Magazine hosts its pre-Golden Globes bash at Chateau Marmont.
- American Film Institute's AFI Awards luncheon at the Four Seasons.
Saturday, January 14, 2012
- Culinary Historians of Southern California present Charles Perry's lecture on A Thousand and One Fritters: Food in the Arabian Nights at 10:30 AM in the Mark Taper Auditorium of the Central Library.
- BAFTA Tea at the Four Seasons Hotel.
- Green Carpet Challenge Brunch at the SoHo House
- Film Independent Spirit Award Nominees Brunch at BOA Steakhouse.
- Rad Dad: Dispatches from the Frontiers of Fatherhood readings by Tomas Moniz, Jeremy Adam Smith, Jillian Lauren, and Shawn Taylor at Book Soup at 5 PM
- Young Musicians Foundation throws its 57th Annual Gala at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion, The Music Center, starting at 5:00 PM.
- Ricky Gervais hosts the Golden Globes Awards at Beverly Hilton.
- CAA hosts Globes after-party at Sunset Tower.
- United Negro College Fund hosts its 23rd Annual Martin Luther King Day Breakfast at the Proud Bird in LA.
- Kevin Powell speaks at "From Rosa Parks to Barack Obama: Civil Rights in America" MLK Day event inside the Harvey Morse Auditorium/Plaza Level at 8700 Beverly Blvd.,, South Tower.12NOON. Free.
- Dave Barry and Alan Zweibel present and sign Lunatics at the Skirball Cultural Center, 2701 North Sepulveda Boulevard Los Angeles, CA 90049
- The Butterfly Gala benefit for Children's Hospital Los Angeles at SLS Hotel. 8 PM.
- Art of Elysium fundraiser party at the 17th Annual LA Art Show Opening Night Premiere (Show continues through January 22) in Los Angeles Convention Center. 5:45 PM.
- Ayad Akhtar and Amy Waldman: Two Novelists on The Lives of American Muslims Before and After 9/11 in conversation with Louise Steinman, curator, ALOUD. Central Library at 7 PM
- Pacific Standard Time Performance and Public Art Festival January 19 through 29, 2012
- Thursday, January 19th at The Geffen Contemporary at MOCA: Art Talk with Judith Baca at 6 PM. Reservations required.
- On Friday, January 20th, Wally's Wines and the Union des Grand Crus de Bordeaux (UGC) host the largest Bordeaux tasting in L.A. at the Petersen Automotive Museum from 7-10. A special UGC reception to benefit the Horatio Alger Association Scholarship Fund will start at 6PM.
Send event listings to Adrienne Crew at email@example.com or post your event on her LA Intelligence calendar.