- Unstable markets have stalled a deal for MediaNews Group Inc. to buy Freedom Communications Inc.'s newspapers, sources told the Wall Street Journal.
- Contessa Brewer, a fixture on MSNBC since 2003, will no longer be an anchor on the network, says TV Newser.
- Presidential candidate Jon Huntsman will be a guest with with Senior Correspondent Jeffrey Brown on today's PBS Newshour.
- The New York Times joins the media flotilla of Los Angeles River boaters, a little later than most. And makes a crawl of Los Angeles coffee spots.
- The Manhattan Beach duplex where Thomas Pynchon is more or less confirmed to have lived in the late sixties and early seventies closed escrow, Curbed LA reports.
- KCET will air a half-hour documentary, "In Search of the California Condor," that was shot on 16mm film in 1945, on Sept. 4 at 8 p.m.
- Elizabeth Aguilera, a former Long Beach Press-Telegram reporter who covers immigration and demographics for the San Diego Union, is among the winners of the 2011 Dart Center Ochberg Fellowships for coverage of violence and trauma.
- Michael Dawson of Dawson's Books will moderate a panel discussion with Los Angeles photography collectors on Saturday at 2 p.m. at the Stephen Cohen Gallery on Beverly Boulevard.
More by Kevin Roderick:Ralph Lawler of the Clippers and the age of Aquarius
Riding the Expo Line to USC 'just magical'
Last bastion of free parking? Loyola Marymount to charge students
Matt Kemp, Dodgers and Kings start big weekend the right way
LA Times writers revisit their '92 riots observations
Recent Media stories on LA Observed:LA Weekly's executive editor in '92 details riot coverage
Los Angeles more worldly since '92, LA Times 'more insular'
More recommended media coverage of the riots
Shelby Coffey, LA Times editor then, on the night the riots erupted
When LA Weekly (did) cover the riots *
New at LA Observed
Follow us on Twitter
On the Media Page
Go to Media
On the Politics Page
Go to Politics
LA Biz Observed
Go to LA Biz Observed
Sign up for daily email from LA Observed