Feds will drop gang charges for now against Alex Sanchez

Federal prosecutors filed to drop their long list of charges accusing Los Angeles anti-gang leader Alex Sanchez of actually being a shot caller for the deadly Mara Salvatrucha (MS-13) crime organization. Sanchez's cause had been picked up by numerous supporters, including author and former assemblyman Tom Hayden. The feds now acknowledge errors in the grand jury testimony that led to Sanchez's 2010 arrest. However, prosecutors say they will likely refile charges after a new grand jury proceeding and asked that the current charges be dismissed without prejudice. "The government makes this request with the express intention of re-filing certain of the dismissed charges," the filing says, per LA Weekly.

Sanchez has been executive director of Homies Unidos. "We applaud the government for conscientiously re-evaluating the case and recognizing that the evidence it presented to the grand jury does not support the charges brought against Alex," said his attorney Amy Jacks.


More by Kevin Roderick:
Lance Armstrong reportedly may do the mea culpa
Mayor's race Friday
LAT's Plaschke on nude Helen Hunt, her 'lady garden' and hotel porn
LA rape conviction thrown out on obscure technicality
Morning Buzz: Friday 1.4.13
Recent Crime stories on LA Observed:
LA rape conviction thrown out on obscure technicality
Veteran LAPD cops accused of forcing women into sex
On a scale of 1-10, serial car burglar is a 10
Murder and theft up in LA, but overall crime down again
How owner of rifle company tied to shootings decided to sell

New at LA Observed
Follow us on Twitter

On the Media Page
Go to Media
On the Politics Page
Go to Politics

LA Biz Observed
Arts and culture

Sign up for daily email from LA Observed

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


Advertisement
LA Observed on Twitter and Facebook