Dean Baquet, the recently named executive editor of the New York Times, had surgery on Saturday to remove a tumor that was found just two days earlier. The NYT says that Baquet, 57, disclosed the news to the staff via email. Doctors felt the tumor required “immediate attention,” he said, and conducted “minimally invasive, completely successful surgery...my doctors have given me an excellent prognosis.”
In his email, Mr. Baquet said that he would remain “in touch with the newsroom leadership” as he recovered and that the new initiatives would continue.
“I know this comes as we are all trying to move forward in the newsroom,” Mr. Baquet said.
“I assure you,” he said, “that I will be back there as soon as possible.”
Before returning to the New York Times, Baquet was the editor (and previously managing editor) of the Los Angeles Times.
Photo: Baquet and his wife, Dylan Landis, on the subway in 2012.