The social calendar for early May is stuffed with activity. Many of these events celebrate a cultural or ethnic heritage: BritWeek has just arrived, sharing the talents of all the UK residents in the area;the Los Angeles Asian Film Festival starts on Friday; local Hawaiians will be celebrating Lei Day on Saturday with luaus, flower exchanges and cultural performances; the annual Armenian Festival in Glendale rolls around again on May 1; meanwhile, on Sunday, the Dutch can get their Koninginnedag on; and authors Roxana Saberi and Nahid Rachlin share aspects of Persian culture with their readers. Later in the week, Mireille Guiliano returns to town to teach Angelenos why French women don't get fat. Best of all, the area's smart alecks can let it all hang out in Old Pasadena at the Doo Dah Parade, which is also scheduled to unfurl on Saturday.
Wednesday, April 28, 2010
- Latino Jewish Roundtable Panel on "Bias in the Media" presented by the Anti-Defamation League Latino Jewish Roundtable together with National Council of La Raza (NCLR) and the Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund (MALDEF)at Loyola Law School, Downtown. 6:30 PM
- Bogart Pediatric Cancer Research Center holds its Auxiliary Board Luncheon and Medical Panel Discussion at the Montage Beverly Hills. 11:00 AM.
- JR Woodward, author of ViralHope: Good News from the Urbs to the Burbs (and everything in between), reads his book at The Catalyst - Fuller Theological Seminary, 136 N. Oakland, Pasadena, at 4:00 PM.
- Roxana Saberi, author of Between Two Worlds: My Life and Captivity in Iran, will discuss her book at Saban Theatre, 8440 Wilshire Blvd, Beverly Hills. 7:30 PM
Thursday, April 29, 2010
- BritWeek reception at Christopher Guy furniture design showrooom to benefit Los Angeles County Unified School District's arts education program, LA BEST.
- 26th Anniversary Los Angeles Asian Pacific Film Festival Opens. Varied locations.
- Crohn's & Colitis Foundation of America, Greater Los Angeles Chapter, hosts its Third Annual Women of Distinction Luncheon and Fashion show, presented by Chloe, at the Beverly Hills Hotel. 11:30 AM
- Marisa Silver, author of The God of War: A Novel, reads at Diesel, A Bookstore, Brentwood. 7:00 PM
- Rob Reiner hosts the 2010 Golden Score Awards, in which the the American Society of Music Arrangers and Composers honors Sammy Nestico and Marc Shaiman, at the Universal Hilton Hotel. 6:00 PM.
- Pat Brown Institute of Public Affairs honors State Controller John Chiang, Kaiser Permanente, and Ex. Speaker of the CA Assembly Willie Brown, at its 29th Annual Awards Dinner at the Millennium Biltmore Hotel Los Angeles. 6:00 PM
- Beyond Shelter honors LA County Supervisor Gloria Molina and The Richie-Madden Children Foundation at its 2010 Inspiration Awards Celebration, held at the Studios at Paramount. 6:30 PM.
Friday, April 30, 2010
- Amber Tamblyn speaks at the Erasing the Stigma 2010 luncheon, benefiting the Didi Hirsch Community Health Center, at the Beverly Hilton Hotel. 11:00 AM.
- Annie Kelly, author of Rooms to Inspire in the City: Stylish Interiors for Urban Living, will sign her book at the Los Angeles Modernism Show in the Barker Hangar at Santa Monica Air Center. 6:00 PM
- Condoleezza Rice is the featured speaker at the Association of Corporate Counsel - Southern California Chapter 15th Annual Gala Dinner and Pro Bono Silent Auction, which will be held at the Westin Bonaventure Hotel.
Saturday, May 1, 2010
- KCRW host Frances Anderton in conversation with architect Frederick Fisher about his new exhibit "Thinking By Hand" on view at the Edward Cella Art + Architecture, 6018 Wilshire Boulevard Los Angeles. 1 PM.
- Orphan's Whispers benefit concert, featuring The Saadoun Albayati Ensemble, Wael Kakish and members of Kan Zaman, the Unison Interfaith Choir, as well as a children's "blind" choir and kirtan drummers. Elderado Emerson School. Orange, CA. 7 PM.
- William Shatner hosts the Hollywood Charity Horse Show at the Los Angeles Equestrian Center.
- Hugh Jackman hosts the fifth annual "A Fine Romance" benefit of the Motion Picture & Television Fund at 20th Century Fox Studios.
- Deborah Nadoolman Landis, Academy Award-nominated costume designer, discusses the costuming and spectacle aspects of Nick Cave's Soundsuits exhibit. Fowler Museum, UCLA. 2 PM
- Las Doradas Children's Center hosts its annual Venice Garden & Home Tour. 10:00 AM.
- Pasadena Doo Dah Parade returns at 11:30 AM
- Ninth Annual Armenian Festival opens at the Glendale Civic Auditorium 1:00 PM.
- Fourth Annual Polo and Picnic Party to raise funds for the Safety Harbor Kids at the Will Rogers State Historic Park. Pacific Palisades. 1 PM.
- Brent Bolthouse, Shannon Del, Annie Goto, Kelly Lynch, Linda Perry host " An Evening with Women" to benefit the L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center at the Beverly Hilton Hotel. 6 PM.
- Society of St. Vincent de Paul holds its Third Annual Camper By Camper Benefit for Circle V Ranch at the Four Seasons Hotel. 6 PM.
- Museum of Neon Art holds its "Cirque du Neon" at 8:00 pm.
Sunday, May 2, 2010
- Netherlands American Society of Southern California celebrates the Queen's Birthday with a Koninginnedag reception in Glendale.
- Japanese American Cultural and Community Center holds its 46th Annual Fashion Show and Scholarship Benefit at Woodbury University at 5:30 PM
- Rebecca Skloot, author of The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, speaks at Steve Allen Theater, Center for Inquiry, 4773 Hollywood Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90027. 1 PM.
- Nahid Rachlin, author of Persian Girls: A Memoir, reads at the The J. Paul Getty Center at 3:00 PM
Monday, May 3, 2010
- Mireille Guiliano, author of French Women Don't Get Fat, speaks at Petrossian Boutique & Cafe, Beverly Hills, at 12:00 PM and 7:30 PM
Tuesday, May 4, 2010
- BritWeek/UK Trade & Investment California Business Innovation Awards Dinner at the Four Seasons Hotel. 6:00 PM.
- Peter Carey, author of His Illegal Self, reads at the Hammer Museum, UCLA. 7:00 PM