The weekend weather forecast promises clear skies so there's no excuse not to go for a walk. If you desire company and/or motivation, check out the following two upcoming walking events. Of course, if you prefer to march there will be plenty of opportunity at Saturday's May Day rally for immigration rights downtown and other May Day marches scheduled around town.
- Jane's Walk MacArthur Park Roundabout is scheduled for both Saturday, May 1, 2010, and Sunday, May 2, 2010. Founded in memory of Jane Jacobs, author of the seminal Death & Life of Great American Cities, Jane's Walk is an international event honoring her advocacy for walkable streets and livable cities that work on a human scale and build community. Organized by Smart Gals, a non-profit dedicated to building community in the city, the car-free tour will explore the landmark Park Plaza Hotel on Saturday. Sunday's walk will focus on proposed developments surrounding the Park Plaza Hotel. Each tour starts at MacArthur Park Red Line Station at 2 PM.
- Leaders of The Big Parade LA, the annual cross-city hike over most of the stairways lacing Los Angeles, are holding practice walks to help striders get in shape for the 35 mile journey scheduled for June 13 and June 14 this year:
SATURDAY, MAY 1: PARK CITY - a special themed walk: six miles of stairways, and six miles of city park. Meet: Angel's Flight Stairway, 341 S. Hill St., downtown Los Angeles, 9AM.
TUESDAY, MAY 4, 2010, 7:15PM: INTRO WALK . Meeting spot: in front of Baller Hardware, 2505 Hyperion Avenue Los Angeles, CA 90027. This walk covers just two miles, but includes 14 stairways. It is a perfect way to get accustomed to stair climbing and figure out how the Parade will feel. First-timers are welcome.
- In conjunction with Big Parade organizers, Bob Inman, author of A Guide to the Public Stairways of Los Angeles, the first comprehensive guide to the city's over 250 such edifices, will lead two more walks during May, covering the stairways of northeast Los Angeles.
- SATURDAY, MAY 8, 9:30AM: NORTHEAST LA I, featuring the west and south side of Mt. Washington above Glassell Park and Cypress. Check the Big Parade LA website for meeting details.
- MONDAY, MAY 10, 7:00PM: NORTHEAST L.A. II, featuring South Pasadena, Arroyo, Garvanza, and Hermon. Check the Big Parade LA website for meeting details.