Friday, May 13, 2011
- Garden Tour of Virginia Robinson Gardens and other estates in Beverly Hills. 10 AM to 4 PM.
- The Gamble House presents a lecture on "Joseph Eichler and His Architects: The Men Behind Eichler Homes" at 4 Westmoreland Place, Pasadena, California 91103. 7 PM
Saturday, May 14, 2011
- Following up on his Eichler lecture above, David Weinstein leads a tour of 6 Eichler Homes in Balboa Highlands, San Fernando Valley. 10 AM to 6 PM.
- The Santa Fe Art Colony (SFAC) Studio Showcase from 2-10pm including a panel discussion and evening reception.
- Echo Park Art Walk, including spinning wheel demo at Tavin Boutique on Echo Park Blvd. 12:30-6 PM.
- Taste of Art: Revisiting the Regency cooking class at the Huntington Library. 9:30 AM -12:30 PM
- Jane Austen Society of North America presents its Regency Ball and Reception at the Westin Hotel, 191 North Los Robles Avenue, Pasadena, CA 91101. 7:30 - 10:00 PM
- Open House at NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory in La Canada starts today and continues thru Sunday. 9-5
- Opening reception for three new exhibits at the Pasadena Museum of Contemporary Art. 7-10 PM at 490 E Union St, Pasadena.
- Watch out for the Pasadena Marathon
- California Preservation Foundation hosts its 36th Annual California Preservation Conference Opening Day (continues through May 18). Multiple locations in Santa Monica.
- LA Observed contributor, Jenny Price, leads the Exploring the LA River: from Elysian Valley to Long Beach tour for Friends of the Los Angeles River and HiddenLA, starting at 8:30 AM. Get your tickets now.
- An all-dog cast performs Elizabeth Cline's original opera "Tragedy on the Sea Nymph" at the Machine Project in Echo Park at 9:30 PM. Event will also be broadcast on the same day at 7 PM.
- The Trevor Project hosts its Circle of Hope Garden Party.
- Greater Los Angeles Agency on Deafness hosts its Ninth Annual Brunch at the House of Blues in West Hollywood. Noon
- California Preservation Foundation hosts its President's Circle Reception at the La Senora Research Institute in Santa Monica.
- Hammer Forum presents a discussion entitled "Armed and Insecure" in the Billy Wilder Theater at the museum in Westwood. 7:00 PM start.
- American Heart Association hosts its 2011 Los Angeles Go For Red Luncheon at JW Marriott at L.A. Live, starting at 9:00 AM.
- Children's Nature Institute hosts its 2011 Gala Dinner: Making a World of Difference at the Skirball Cultural Center. 6:00 PM
- UNICEF fundraiser "PlayList with the A-List" at the El Rey Theatre.
- Los Angeles Business Journal presents its19th Annual Women Making A Difference Awards lunch at the Hyatt Regency Century Plaza. 11:00 AM
- Libby Wright speaks at the Junior League of Pasadena's Sustainer Event: End of the Year Cocktail Party at the Pasadena Tournament of Roses House on Orange Grove Blvd.
- Levantine Cultural Center hosts a talk by Kamran Pasha on "Islam and Hollywood: Facts, Myths and Martyrs." Levantine Cultural Center, 5998 W. Pico Blvd., Los Angeles, 90035 7-9 PM. $15.
- Written in California presents an evening with Les Figues Press at the Pasadena Museum of California Art at 7 PM.
- Publication party for the late Frederick Kohner's novel Early Pleasures featuring an appearance by his daughter, the real Gidget, Kathy Kohner Zuckerman, at Village Books, 1049 Swarthmore Ave. in Pacific Palisades on Friday, May 20, at 7:30 p.m.
If you have upcoming events, be sure to share them with Adrienne Crew at adrienne at laobserved dot com