Mayor-elect Antonio Villaraigosa will be sworn in to office on Friday by Judge Stephen Reinhardt of the 9th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals. Reinhardt is something of a lightning rod for conservative anger at the courts and at liberals because of his legal opinions on the 9th Circuit and his marriage to Ramona Ripston, longtime head of the ACLU here. Controller Laura Chick will share the stage and take her oath from Oakland mayor Jerry Brown. Which is kind of funny since next up after Chick and Brown is Rocky Delgadillo, who is running against Brown for state attorney general. Delgadillo will take the oath for his second term from former Secretary of State Warren Christopher.
Friday's order of march, so to speak, follows in a press release from Villaraigosa. First is the interfaith service at Our Lady of the Angels, with readings from the Quran, the Five Books of Moses, Sikh and Hindu scriptures and Christian Orthodox scriptures, and a benediction by Cardinal Mahony. Then the scene moves to the south lawn of City Hall [* where a rumor says Natalie Cole will be the surprise performer].
Further update: After eyeing the interfaith service lineup, the Claremont Institute's Matthew J. Peterson riffs, "We here at Local Liberty Blog are absolutely outraged that Antonio has given the cold shoulder to practitioners of Satanism, Kabbalah (you are the mayor of Los Angeles now, HELLO!), Voodoo, or even the Church of Scientology. Tom Cruise's robotic smile might scare the crap out of you, but that's no reason to promote other religions over Scientology, now is it?!"
* Prayer of St. Francis by Sebastian Temple
* Processional by the Gabrieleno-Tongva Tribe
* Welcome by the Rt. Rev. Alexei Smith of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles
* Reading from the Quran by Dr. Maher Hathout of Islamic Center of Southern California
* Reading from the Five Books of Moses by Rabbi Harold Schulweis of Valley Beth Shalom
* Reading from the Christian Scriptures by the Very Rev. John Bakas of St. Sofia Greek Orthodox Cathedral
* Buddhist Meditation Chant by Monastics from His Lai Temple
* Reading from the Sikh Scriptures by Sardarni Sahiba Simran Kaur Khalsa of Sikh Darma
* Remarks by Bishop Charles E. Blake of the West Angeles Church of God in Christ
* Reading from the Hindu Scriptures by Swami Sarvedevananda of the Vedanta Society
* Moment of Silent Prayer, Prayer Circle and Benediction by Cardinal Roger Mahony, Archbishop of Los Angeles
* Recessional Hymn of De Colores by Mariachi Divas
* Presentation of the Colors - Color Guard of the California National Guard
* Mistress of Ceremonies - Maria Elena Salinas, Univisión
* F.A.M.E. Choir performs " It's Already Done"
* Pledge of Allegiance - Antonio Villaraigosa Jr. (son), Natalia Fe Villaraigosa (daughter), Isela Silva (granddaughter)
* National Anthem - Surprise Guest
* Invocation by Cardinal Roger Mahony
* F.A.M.E. Choir performs "Lift Every Voice and Sing"
* Oath of Office - City Controller Laura Chick by the Mayor of Oakland, Edmund G. "Jerry" Brown
* Oath of Office - City Attorney Rocky Delgadillo by Warren Christopher
* Oath of Office - City Councilmembers by City Clerk Frank Martinez
* Oath of Office - Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa by Judge Stephen Reinhardt, US Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit
* Inaugural Address - Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa
* Surprise Guest performs with F.A.M.E. Choir "America The Beautiful"
* Benediction - Cecil "Chip" Murray - Minister Retired First A.M.E Church
* Mistress of Ceremonies - Close