Not much of a hiatus today, it appears — but I promise to make up for it tomorrow.
- Peace in our time: the city and the Engineers and Architects Association have agreed on a contract that gives a 9% raise over three years. EAA members, who have been striking on occasion, still must ratify.
- Next year's super-bout between boxers Oscar De La Hoya and Floyd Mayweather won't be at Staples Center.
- Jon Wiener finally got the rest of the John Lennon FBI files. Nothing of a sensitive sort that the government has been claiming for years is contained within.
- Paul Moyer and producer Frank Snepp reported last night on NBC4 that Staples Center's smoke evacuation system has never been tested and was a source of questions when the arena opened.
- Laura Mecoy is being called back to Sacramento as part of cost-cutting at the Bee. Her colleague Dan Walters, meanwhile, puts Mervyn Dymally in his place.
- Kim Cooper of 1947Project goes public with her quest to get paid for a story she wrote for the late L.A. Alternative, and gets a reply (finally) from publisher Martin Albornoz.
- When Jack Welch met Stephen Colbert...
- What again is the appeal of the DWP Light Festival in Griffith Park?
- Jaunted.com claims to have posted a parking guide to Los Angeles, but don't be fooled.