It has admittedly been a long time since I looked at Charles Johnson's blog Little Green Footballs, and I don't find myself picking up all that much from Pajamas Media, the politics and opinion site he started with fellow lefty-gone-right Roger L. Simon. So I have no clue about any build-up to this, but Johnson last night posted a declaration of independence from the American right-wing — and cited among his reasons some of the hateful rhetoric that critics often found foul about LGF. From Johnson's post, Why I Parted Ways With the Right:
1. Support for fascists, both in America (see: Pat Buchanan, Robert Stacy McCain, etc.) and in Europe (see: Vlaams Belang, BNP, SIOE, Pat Buchanan, etc.)
2. Support for bigotry, hatred, and white supremacism (see: Pat Buchanan, Ann Coulter, Robert Stacy McCain, Lew Rockwell, etc.)
3. Support for throwing women back into the Dark Ages, and general religious fanaticism (see: Operation Rescue, anti-abortion groups, James Dobson, Pat Robertson, Tony Perkins, the entire religious right, etc.)
4. Support for anti-science bad craziness (see: creationism, climate change denialism, Sarah Palin, Michele Bachmann, James Inhofe, etc.)
5. Support for homophobic bigotry (see: Sarah Palin, Dobson, the entire religious right, etc.)
6. Support for anti-government lunacy (see: tea parties, militias, Fox News, Glenn Beck, etc.)
He goes to ten: "Hatred for President Obama that goes far beyond simply criticizing his policies, into racism, hate speech, and bizarre conspiracy theories (see: witch doctor pictures, tea parties, Birthers, Michelle Malkin, Fox News, World Net Daily, Newsmax, and every other right wing source)." Johnson ends with "The American right wing has gone off the rails, into the bushes, and off the cliff. I won’t be going over the cliff with them."
Johnson's post has been retweeted 8,000 times and has drawn more than 1,400 comments: "Lots of hate mail as you might expect, dripping with venom and serving as object examples of exactly what I wrote about."