Apparently even many at KTLA don't know that Stan Chambers is a Knight Commander of the Pontifical Order of St. Gregory the Great, knighted by the pope for his service to the Catholic church and the community. Fewer than 250 people in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles have had this award bestowed on them, among them Roy Disney and Bob and Dolores Hope. Other recipients include Ricardo Montalban and Rupert Murdoch. I like the way Wikipedia puts this: "Members of the order have no privileges, except the right of riding on a horse inside the Saint Peter's Basilica in Vatican City, a right that has not been exercised for a very long time."
Though Chambers retired today, he still has a full slate of honors coming to him, starting with proclamations from the city of Santa Monica on Thursday and from the L.A. City Council at its meeting on Friday. Plus these others, per a source at KTLA:
- Saturday, August 14th 3 p.m. Proclamation from the City of El Monte, soccer field at Santa Anita & Brockway
- Tuesday, August 17th, 10 a.m. Board of Supervisors meeting.
- Thursday, August 19th, 11 a.m. L.A. City Fire Luncheon at Fire Station #27, and Immediately following a proclamation from the LAPD at Hollywood Station roll call.
- Tuesday, August 24th, 5 p.m., proclamation from the City of Lancaster at its City Council meeting.
- Wednesday, August 25th, he's the Disneyland Parade Grand Marshall
- Thursday, August 26th, noon, proclamation from the City of Signal Hill at a Chamber of Commerce luncheon.
- Friday, August 27th, Los Angeles Sheriff's Department closed luncheon.
- Saturday, August 28th, 4:30 p.m. proclamation from the City of Arcadia.
- Monday, August 30th, 9 a.m. Hollywood Chamber of Commerce recognition at the Stan Chambers star, 6922 Hollywood Blvd.
- Tuesday, August 31st, proclamation from the Los Angeles Police Commission.