The date was November 16, 1973, and after 77 years at the corner of 4th and Broadway, the L.A. department store shut its doors. The next day, the Broadway opened at 7th and Flower, inside something called Broadway Plaza. Blogdowntown's Eric Richardson remembers the store's history:
On February 24, 1896, Arthur Letts took over operation of the failed enterprise, advertising a massive bankruptcy sale to move all of the store's previous wares within 30 days. Letts had a magic touch, and by 1911 the store had grown to four floors and 125,000 square feet. It wasn't enough, though, and in 1913 Letts leased three floors in the Clark Hotel on Hill Street as a temporary home during the construction of a new nine-story building with nearly 11 acres of floor space. The three-phased construction project wrapped in 1915. Only a few years later, the store expanded again, adding a height-limit addition on 4th Street that gave the store another 120,000 square feet of floor space.
Letts, who also headed Bullock's, suffered a nervous breakdown in 1923 and died a month later from pneumonia. The Broadway, which expanded throughout the Southwest and eventually became part of Carter Hawley Hale Stores, was taken over by Macy's in 1995.